Sunday, April 13, 2014

Practical jokes really aren’t that practical

There are three of us at work that share an office; one of us may or may not get picked on much more than the others. I could reminisce for hours about the shenanigans that go on on a daily basis. It’s really quite fun.

I was talking with one of my officemates the other day about practical jokes. Throughout the duration of our conversation an instance started slowly coming to my mind. It was rolling out of the fog; the fog of suppressed memories, of course.

I was just promoted to supervisor; I was still in the awkward transition stage. So much so, one of my friends said to me “Heather, you really seem out of your element. Don’t worry – you can do this!”. Which was both reassuring and also troubling since everyone could see that I was obviously struggling.

Not long after, another “friend” came to talk to me.

That White Girl - practical joke - you're doing a good job

That White Girl - practical joke - supportive, touchy, weird

That White Girl - practical joke - doing a good job at being weird

I got back to work and forgot about it. I ended up going into the lab to talk to someone; I was trying to tie up a loose end before I left to go to school.

I finished my tasks, got cleaned and packed up and left for school. I got to school and was waiting for the class to start.

That White Girl - practical joke - this was taped to your sweater

That White Girl - practical joke - help I need validation from men

That’s when it all came flooding back. I was so weirded out I didn’t pick up on the obvious queues: the awkward pat on the back; the people snickering in the lab.

That White Girl - practical joke - you're a dick, Gorm

4 comments:

  1. Gormm! You practical joker you! Gorm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It beats "Kick Me", right? Or maybe not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Gorm fellow sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon - I know - he's the worst!

    Beer - really, maybe not!!

    Gorm - he's a terrible, terrible human being. :D

    ReplyDelete

Wanna brighten That White Girl's day? Leave a comment - they make me happy!