Monday, June 10, 2013

Work Shenanigans

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have some new office-mates. They both happen to be of Asian descent. They also both happen to be jerks.

Not really.

But since they’re Asian they are more likely to eat weird shit on a day-to-day basis. I’m white and the stuff I eat is pretty… … vanilla. Definitely on a world scale, but even on a Canadian scale.

ThatWhiteGirl - eating weird shit - not eating mushrooms

So, naturally, they’ve made it their mission to “expand my horizons”. It’s a game they love and a game I’m disliking more and more. 

The first time it happened was a couple weeks ago when Geiger brought in “Taiwan’s most popular snack food”, which was some fish/shrimp cracker-y things. I’ve had things like that previously and they’re pretty okay, so I had one.

What I didn’t realize was that this particular brand of snack food contained a dehydrated fish inside each packet.

ThatWhiteGirl - eating weird shit - cracker jack box of fish

What I also didn’t realize was that when Geiger found the fish that she would think it would be good idea to make me eat it. I also didn’t realize that The Ninja would agree. It took some prodding, in the form of both of them chanting my name, but eventually I ate the fish.

It was small so I thought it wouldn’t be bad, but it was concentrated. As I crunched through the dehydrated carcass of this little fish, my mouth was perfused with a very strong fish flavour. It was basically like eating 4 cans of tuna in one bite.

The next time was a few days later when a co-worker brought in candies from Thailand, one of which was durian flavoured. I was asked if I liked durian, I said that I had never tried it, but I’d smelled it, so that was enough for me.

That wasn’t enough for them. The Ninja went and got me a candy and then they started demanding I eat it.

ThatWhiteGirl - eating weird shit - come on

Eventually I caved and put the candy in my mouth. And then promptly spit it out because it was horrible! They laughed and said that it wasn’t in my mouth long enough for it to count. They threatened to get me another one.

The conversation moved to “what’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten”; Geiger won that contest by saying that she once ate pig fallopian tube. She said it wasn’t bad, it was just a skinny tube that was chewy, kind of like an elastic band.

A little while later, The Ninja said “Hey, Heather….” and when I turned around he was presenting me with an elastic band served on a napkin. He tried the chant that had worked previously.

ThatWhiteGirl - eating weird shit - not eating an elastic band

The few days later, I heard The Ninja say “Hey Heather… you want one?” My heart filled with dread and when I turned around he was offering me a cookie… I was surprised.

ThatWhiteGirl - eating weird shit - oh its normal

I’m not sure if his predominant reaction was amused or offended.

After repeated pleas that I did not want “Make That White Girl Eat Weird Shit” to be the new game, The Ninja came up with a new game: “Make That White Girl Say Things in Cantonese Without Telling Her What The Words Mean Until She Uses Them In Really Inappropriate Ways”.

Lucky for me, I tend to use English words in really inappropriate ways so it’s never too long before I find out what they’re teaching me to say.

ThatWhiteGirl - eating weird shit - thanks you bitch

6 comments:

  1. I don't even know what durian is, so you got me beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moment I saw you talking about Asians wanting you to eat weird shit, I thought "durian." They tried to get me to eat that all the time in Thailand, and after one taste, that was enough. I can't do it again. That's right, I'll eat eel, and shrimp crackers, and intestines all day long, but I will not eat durian. It tastes just like it smells, which is godawful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urghhh the fish sounds awful and I don't even want t think about a pig fallopian tube. I think the weirdest thing I've eaten is kale - and I still can't be sure it wasn't just weird lettuce x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pickleope - it's a fruit that smells like a natural gas leak. And pretty much tastes the same.

    Beer - haven't done the intestines myself, but eel and shrimp crackers are pretty good.

    Scarlett - that's a good way to be - don't change! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to join in this game! ... to make you eat weird shit. I have 4 weeks to come with ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pig intestines are used to make sausage casing.. You might have already eaten some.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Wanna brighten That White Girl's day? Leave a comment - they make me happy!