Sunday, November 7, 2010

Techmology: Death to Society

I think technology is killing us. Yeah, sure, global warming, blah, blah, blah. But what I'm referring to is us as a society, not just a species. I think with advent of technology, and the extent to which we choose to use it, is causing serious problems with our social skills. We have none.


We don't know how to interact with people anymore. I've heard stories (which I promptly chose to ignore and label as 'not true') where two people go out on a date, with their laptops/phones, and instant message/text each other throughout the entire 'date'. Barely speaking to each other. That's just not right.


Table


We no longer live in the now. I'm sure we've all had this happen. You're out with friends, and someone spends the whole night with their face in their phone. Now, I understand, sometimes you have to answer things, regardless of where you are or who you're with. But really? Why are you with friends, ignoring their conversations, having a whole other conversation with another friend that isn't even there?!


Phone


I was at a concert a couple weeks back. The show was epic The Arcade Fire were absolutely amazing. I spent most of the night picking my jaw up off the floor. At one point, I look down and the guy beside me is sitting down texting. He didn't even appear to be listening to the music. I wondered if, to him, it was just like when he's at home listening to the album. Why spend the money if you're not going to watch the show? I really just hoped that he was at least texting about the concert and it wasn't a conversation about his father's boat.


We should not experience life through a camera lens. We all have seen that person at a concert, or sporting event that spends the entire time taking pictures/videos. I always wonder how much they actually see or appreciate the event when they're looking at it through a 4 sq. in. screen. (I'm all imperial and stuff, weird). I'm particularly baffled when it's an event relating to nature, like when you climb up a mountain and look out at the view. You just can't appreciate it through a camera lens. I look at the pictures I've taken of these sorts of things and I always think to myself "The picture does not do it justice".


Bear


I honestly think that we, as a society, would make serious improvements to all aspects of our lives, if we just put the technology down. Don't spend the entire night on facebook or texting when you're with people and don't view the world through a lens. Live in the here and now. Be there for your friends and family. And appreciate the world around you. And remember, even though you have your head up your ass in your phone, life is still going on without you.


 


Big thanks to EliseArt for providing the illustrations. It's good to have you back! :)

7 comments:

  1. You're right! No more time shall be *wasted**strikethrough* spent on this blog when the outdoors is clearly superior with its....*looks out window*.....uh, darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sure, you agree with me in real-life but threaten to stop reading here... typical. Fine. Stop reading. See if I care. :|

    Okay. I do care. Please keep reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing to read though - need UPDATES!!!!!


    Eeesh...us and our demands =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! I'm sorry... I don't even have anything on the go! Actually, maybe I do... we'll see what I can pull out of my sleeve.

    Yes, yes, you are high maintenance! Lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - we ask and we shall receive hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You betcha - I have to make sure I don't lose any readers... I need to keep this part of your routine, right?

    ReplyDelete

Wanna brighten That White Girl's day? Leave a comment - they make me happy!