Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I look like a dolphin

Having never before entered into the realm of blogs, I am at a loss as to what to write about. I'm told that content is often overshadowed by wit, so this is my attempt at written wit. I'm a big fan of stories, so this here is a test to see if my typical gesticulations are required in order to make my stories entertaining, or if words alone will do justice.

When I was a little girl, my grandmother, a.k.a. Granny, always called me a smart alec... I've aged some since this time and have come to realize that she was in actuality calling me a smart ass. A term I've come to hear repeatedly throughout my life, pretty much on a daily basis. She must have been on the right track. Granny always was a good judge of character.

One time in particular (a story that Granny often told with a quirky grin on her face) I was just a little girl, maybe 3 or 4 years old. I was up late, way past my bedtime. So it might have even been approaching 7pm. I liked to wait up for Granny to come to bed too, little did I know, between the hours of 7 and 10pm was Granny's only attempt at "me time" and by "me time", I mean, the few spare moments she got when I wasn't around bugging her and being a smart ass... I just had no idea how precious this time was to her.

Any ways, I was up late, sitting on her lap, several times in the minutes past, she eluded to me that it really was time for me to go to bed. Being a smart ass, I chose to ignore these remarks and decided that was her way of saying "Yes, please, stay up with me". Ever the patient one, Granny let this go, but as the clocked ticked on and there was no end in sight, she must have decided that it was time to give me a taste of my own medicine... time to get mean. "Heather, now go to bed. I'm sick and tired of looking at you!". I turned to her, looked her straight in the eye and said, ever so smugly "Well, then look the other way!".

To this day, I'm not sure how she managed to keep a straight face, or how I managed to get away without a spanking. But in the end, she won that battle; I went to bed, probably storming away right choked, because, hey, that's exactly what a smart ass would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna brighten That White Girl's day? Leave a comment - they make me happy!